Saturday, August 8, 2009

Recent Trip to Durango

Last month we took a trip to Durango and spent some time with old friends, Kevin and Jadi Pugh and their kids, McKinley, Sierra, Hayden and Kea. Some people asked me "You haven't seen these people in 15 years, and you're going to spend a week together? That's taking a big leap of faith." You know, I didn't even think of it that way. Some friendships pick up right where you left off. (Quote from Melanie)


We started the trip in Amarillo, TX in Palo Duro Canyon. The second largest canyon in America. Also the home to the Play TEXAS, which is performed in an amphitheater in the canyon. It's been running since the '60's and was highly entertaining. Afterwards, the kids got pictures with all the main characters.


Next we went to Santa Fe, and played around in Old Town Santa Fe. We then drove to Durango, Colorado and stayed in a Cabin from the 1800's. It was the original homestead on a 500 acre ranch with La Plata river running through it. At one time the ranch was owned by Louis Lamour, and there were a lot of Safari trophy's in our Cabin that he shot.


We renewed our friendship with the Pugh's, went to Mesa Verde, saw all kinds of wildlife, and Kevin converted Danny to "Fly Fishing" (Yeah, there's a cheap hobby.) We also let the kids shoot bows and arrows, .22 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun. Much fun was had by all.


Jadi Pugh hit 50% of all skeet she shot at, destroying her husband Kev's record by 50%. The last shooting event of the trip was when I told Kevin "Alright, take one shell, I'll throw my hat up and you try to hit it. Then I'll take one shell, you throw your hat up and I'll try to hit it." Coerced by his children, Kevin finally agreed. I threw my hat up, and Kevin missed. Then, Kevin threw his hat up, I waited until it hit the ground, ran over and shot it. Kevin's kid's weren't happy. "Now he's going to look like a dork. He won't stop wearing it. He's going to try and sew it up or something."

Yes, some friendships do indeed pickup right where you left off. Kevin and I met 20 years ago in El Paso, TX while we were serving Spanish speaking missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The friendship we started then, has continued through college, marriage, children, careers, pets and now joint vacations. My life has been enriched by the friendship we share. I love you Kev.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Well it is SO nice to hear how your family is doing! I've missed the updates. :)

We haven't seen them in about that long either.

And I love that you are wearing a "Police" shirt in that last picture. I just do.

Kristin said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Steve said...

Well Margaret, there's this invention you may not of heard of, it's called a telephone. The amazing thing about this invention is you can make the one in our house "ring" simply by dialing our number. (Wait, it get's better.) Then, someone here will "Answer" the phone, and you will actually be able to talk with them in real time. You can exchange pleasantries, discuss children's antics and swap funny stories about Greg with Melanie. You should check it out sometime.